The brisk fall air provides the perfect excuse to throw together a batch of hot soup or chowder. And what makes a bowl of soup extra indulgent? How about adding in a few heaping handfuls of cheese to create a super rich soup base?
I found this recipe a couple of years ago on Lulu the Baker’s blog. Feel free to swap in whatever your favorite veggies may be. Plus, it doesn’t hurt if you *accidentally* drop in a few extra scoops of cheese as well!
CHEESY VEGETABLE CHOWDER
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth (If you’d like a more intense flavor, drop a cube of chicken soup base into the broth)
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon flour
½ cup water
2/3 cup whole milk
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Add the onions, carrots, and celery, and saute over medium heat until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour with water. Add the mixture to the pot with the vegetables and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- Add milk and broccoli, and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.
- Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.