As I’ve noted before, I love fall. I love everything about the season: the chill in the air, the smells of cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through the air, and of course, the food ,,, and most especially, apples. I’ve probably tried more than 50 apple recipes in my lifetime. Some are what we might call “epic failures,” while others are definitely keepers.
This recipe for apple cake with a super sweet honey glaze on top is one of those keepers. It’s chock full of all things fall–so if you’re an avid autumn lover like me, I suggest you try this cake as soon as you can!
APPLE CAKE WITH HONEY GLAZE
For the cake:
3 cups diced apples
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups sugar
1¼ cups canola oil
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons whole milk
- In a bowl, mix together the apples, walnuts, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, or stand mixer, beat the sugar, canola oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Add in the dry ingredients and beat until completely combined. Fold in the apple mixture gently.
- Scrape the batter into a lightly greased bundt pan or tube pan.
- Bake in a 325°F oven for 1½ hours, or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to fully cool in the pan, about 1 hour, and then turn it out onto a plate.
- For the glaze, add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cake once it has cooled.
- The cake can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.