Next time you find yourself with extra tomatoes on hand, try this great tomato gratin recipe, courtesy of the Barefoot Contessa. By roasting the tomatoes, the insides of the tomatoes burst, creating a super juicy side dish that is perfect to serve alongside baked chicken, grilled fish, or basically, whatever you feel like pairing it with!
PROVENCAL CHERRY TOMATO GRATIN
3 pints cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1½ tablespoons, plus ¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups coarse bread crumbs (I used Italian-seasoned Panko breadcrumbs)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the tomatoes in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add the 1½ tablespoons of olive oil, thyme, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Toss everything together and spread the tomatoes evenly in the baking dish.
- Place the garlic, parsley, and ½ teaspoon of salt in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until the garlic is finely chopped.
- Place the breadcrumbs into a small bowl, and add the garlic mixture and ¼ cup of the olive oil. Mix together to blend. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the tomatoes.
- Bake the gratin for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crumbs are golden and the tomato juices are bubbling.
- Serve hot or warm.