I’m a sucker for chocolate-covered strawberries. So when I found this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs for chocolate cupcakes with a silky smooth strawberry buttercream frosting, topped with a cute little chocolate-covered strawberry, how the heck could I not try and make them?
Let’s just say they were a huge hit at the office–and I think I’m expected to make them again very soon.
CHOCOLATE-COVERED STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
Servings: About 2 dozen cupcakes
1 package devil’s food cake mix
1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup warm water
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of fine sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
6 ounces strawberries, pureed
4-6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the cake mix and pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly into the muffin tin. Bake the muffins for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick entered into the center of each cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from muffin tins and allow to fully cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Turn your mixer down to low speed and slowly add in the confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
- Add the salt, vanilla, 3 tablespoons of heavy cream, and strawberry puree. Blend on low speed until moistened. Then add an additional 1 to 3 tablespoons of heavy cream until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- Pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and top with a chocolate covered strawberry.