Let’s face it: The crock pot was put on this earth to make our lives ten times easier. Throw everything in, set for 4-5 hours, and the smells that waft through the house can only be described as glorious.
This Italian dish is the perfect comfort food for anytime of the day (Yes, even breakfast. Seriously, once you have one bite, you will want it all the time). I originally found this recipe while perusing Pinterest, and what I love most about it is that you can really throw in whatever you want to make the dish your own. In the mood for chicken sausage? Would you rather have meat-filled tortellini over cheese-filled? Do you like a little more heat with red pepper flakes? Just throw it in the big pot, set that timer, and wait for slow cooker to do all of the work!
SLOW COOKER SAUSAGE & CHEESE TORTELLINI
1 pound Italian sausage
20 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini (Buitoni works well)
32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes (basil, garlic, and oregano option provides great additional flavor)
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Grated parmesan for topping
- Brown your sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and tortellini to your slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes, their liquid, and chicken broth over the top. Add the cream cheese to the pot, dividing in chunks.
- Mix together with a large spoon until everything is evenly distributed, making sure the liquid is covering the tortellini.
- Cook on low for about 3½ to 4 hours. Stir the mixture at 1½ hours, and again at 3 hours.
- Remove the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking. This will give the sauce some time to thicken up. You can leave the lid off longer if you need it to thicken a bit more (but stir every so often).
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and serve!