This recipe for peach almond muffins (originally found on Two Peas & the Pod) are the perfect treat for someone who wants a little fruitiness, a little bit of nuttiness, and a lot of sweetness. Feel free to toast the almonds for the streusel topping. It will bring out even more nuttiness in the topping.
PEACH ALMOND MUFFINS
Servings: Makes about 14 muffins
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2¼ teaspoons baking powder
1 cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1 large egg
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
¾ cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1½ cups diced and peeled peaches
Almond streusel topping:
¼ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup sliced almonds (toasted optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line muffin cups with paper liners or grease the cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Set the bowl aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, canola or vegetable oil, buttermilk, vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula. Mix until just combined. Gently stir in the peaches.
- To make the almond streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Mix with your hands until you have a crumbly mixture. Pea-size chunks of butter are okay. Mix in the sliced almonds.
- Pour the muffin batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the almond streusel topping on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool to room temperature.