As most of you know, my boyfriend Doug loves his Mexican treats. So when I found this recipe for baked chicken fajitas, I had to try it. It’s got a bit of a kick from the chili powder and tomatoes with green chilies. You can cool some of the spice down with whatever you decide to serve alongside these fajitas, like sour cream, guacamole, cheese, or any other creamy topping.
The great thing about this dish is that all you need to do is cook everything together in the oven in a casserole dish, set out your tortillas and filling on the table, and put out some toppings. Then call everyone to the table and let the fajita assembling begin!
BAKED CHICKEN FAJITAS
Servings: About 8-10 fajitas (depending on how much filling is used)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced
12 flour tortillas
Toppings (cheese, sour cream, guacamole, etc.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
- Combine the vegetable oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine so that everything is coated in the spice mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Set up tortillas, filling, and toppings and allow everyone to assemble.