I love trying recipes with unexpected flavors. This puff pastry roll filled with a sausage, apple, and onion stuffing is a little bit salty and a little bit sweet. It’s the perfect dish to serve for brunch, lunch, or a snack any time of the day.
SAUSAGE AND APPLE PUFF PASTRY ROLL
Servings: Makes 2 rolls
2 eggs, divided
1 tablespoon water
½ pound Italian pork sausage (ground or removed from casing and broken up)
1 cup chopped apple
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly flour. Beat 1 of the eggs and water in small bowl and set aside.
- Mix remaining egg, sausage, apple, bread crumbs, cranberries, onion, rosemary, and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended (I used my hands).
- Carefully unfold the puff pastry and place on the lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet. Cut lengthwise into 2 rectangles. Create strips by making 1½-inch long cuts 1 inch apart down both long sides of each pastry rectangle.
- Spoon ½ of the sausage mixture down the center of each pastry rectangle.
- Fold 1 pastry strip at a time over the sausage mixture, alternating sides, overlapping the prior strip to enclose sausage mixture.
- Lightly brush the braided pastry with the beaten egg and water mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and sausage is cooked through.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then cut each pastry into 6 pieces to serve.