I really enjoy making fun cupcakes. So when I found these adorable chocolate cupcakes topped with white (orange) chocolate-covered strawberries to resemble carrots, I had to make them. If you don’t live near a store that has Wilton’s orange candy melt, feel free to order them online (that’s what I did).
CARROT & CHOCOLATE “DIRT” CUPCAKES
Servings: About 2 dozen cupcakes
1 (18.25 ounce) package Devil’s food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup warm water
2 cups chocolate chips
¾ cups heavy cream
15 Oreos, crushed into fine crumbs
2 dozen strawberries
1 package Wilton’s Orange Candy Melts
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, eggs, vanilla, and water. Beat for about two minutes on medium speed until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, distribute the batter between 24 muffin wells.
- Bake in the oven for about 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick entered into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool inside muffin tins for about 10 minutes. Move cupcakes to a wire rack. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache, combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Place the bowl in the microwave, and melt the chocolate in 15-second intervals, stirring in between each interval. Once melted, allow the ganache to cool just a bit, so that it is a similar consistency to hot fudge.
- Meanwhile, melt the candy melts according to the package directions. Dip each of the strawberries into the orange melted candy and place on a sheet of wax or parchment paper to cool and harden. Drizzle stripes across the top (put some melted coating in a small bag and snip the corner to make it easier to drizzle straight lines), and let cool and harden.
- Dip each cupcake into the ganache, and then immediately into the Oreo crumbs.
- Cut a small “slit” in the top of each cupcake. Insert the tip of a “carrot” strawberry into each cupcake.