It’s grill time! This is Doug and my go-to chicken dish whenever we want chicken on the grill. It starts with a (very) spicy rub that I let sit overnight before placing on the grill. Right before the chicken is done cooking, you brush on a sweet honey vinegar glaze for the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. We use chicken thighs, but if you don’t like using thighs, chicken breasts will work just as well.
SPICY HONEY GRILLED CHICKEN
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2 pounds
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
½ cup honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Combine the spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Use kitchen shears to trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry. Drizzle oil over chicken and rub in with your hands to lightly coat all the pieces. Then toss the chicken with the spice rub to coat all sides (Use your hands and get in there. But fair warning: Your hands WILL get yucky.)
- Cover the chicken with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let the chicken sit in the fridge for at least four hours, but ideally, overnight.
- When ready, grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave. Add the vinegar and combine well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the honey glaze for serving. Take the rest and brush on the chicken (both sides) in the final moments of grilling.
- Place grilled chicken on a platter and drizzle the extra two tablespoons of honey/vinegar mixture before serving.