That’s why I love some of my simple—but utterly delicious—dessert options. One of my favorites comes from Flour Bakery (my go-to for most of my best desserts). I’m not sure how Joanne Chang (owner of Flour) does it, but I’m pretty sure she adds a little bit of magic into everything that she makes.
These rice krispies treats aren’t just any rice krispies treats. They use brown butter for extra nuttiness and a real vanilla bean for true decadence. Believe me, once you make these rice krispies treats, you’ll never make any other kind.
FLOUR’S BROWN BUTTER RICE KRISPIES TREATS
Servings: Makes one 9×13 pan’s worth
1 cup butter
½ vanilla bean (I use ½ tablespoon of vanilla bean paste)
2 10-ounce bags marshmallows
½ teaspoon kosher salt
9 cups Rice Krispies
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Set aside
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat. Cut the vanilla bean in half, and scrape the seeds with the back of a knife. Add the vanilla (or vanilla bean paste) to the melting butter. The butter will foam, and then begin to bubble and crack. It will then begin to turn a golden brown color. Watch it carefully because it can burn very quickly. When the butter is ready, the bubbling will stop and you will see that all of it is brown. It takes about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the marshmallows and salt. Stir over low heat until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and pour the Rice Krispies into the marshmallow mixture. Mix together until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared 9×13 pan and press it down. Let it sit for about 2 hours at room temperature before slicing.