I wanted to keep with my spider theme this week and share another great sweet and spooky Halloween recipe. This chocolaty cupcake has slimy licorice legs and beady candy eyes. The best thing is that it uses a lot of prepared ingredients, including cake mix and pumpkin puree.
It will be the most delicious spider you’ve ever eaten!
CHOCOLATE SPIDER CUPCAKES
Servings: Makes about 18 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
16.5 ounces dark chocolate fudge cake mix
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin
¾ cup + 2 tablespoons water
For the glaze:
½ cup + 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoons milk, plus 1 teaspoon if needed
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
For the toppings:
1 container chocolate sprinkles
Black string licorice, cut into 2 inch strips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake tin with 18 cupcake liners.
- Combine pumpkin puree and water in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low until combined. Add the chocolate cake mix and beat on high for about two minutes.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full, and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- For the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder. Then add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk, adding ¼ teaspoon more at a time, if needed, until smooth.
- Place sprinkles in a bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula or butter knife, spread just about a teaspoon of the chocolate glaze over the cupcake, then quickly dip into the bowl of sprinkles. Add the candy eyes quickly before the glaze dries.
- To add legs, poke holes into the cupcake body with a toothpick, then insert the two-inch licorice pieces into the holes.