Although I love my regular lasagna, I do enjoy twists on the classics—and this recipe for white sauce lasagna is definitely that. Rather than using a ground red meat (like beef), this variation goes with the lighter option of chicken, and packs in the veggies with spinach. The dish is rounded out with a garlic and cheese cream sauce that pairs perfectly with the chicken and spinach.
Serve it alongside a big garden salad, and you have a truly unique twist on Italian dinner night.
CHICKEN, SPINACH & WHITE SAUCE LASAGNA
Lasagna noodles (not oven-ready)
½ cup unsalted butter
1 whole onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1½ cups milk
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus, additional ¼ cup for topping)
1 teaspoon each, dried basil and oregano
½ teaspoons ground pepper
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups cubed chicken, cooked
1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly.
- Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and ½ cup Parmesan. Season with basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture on the bottom of the 9×13-inch baking dish. Layer with about 3 of the noodles and all of the ricotta and chicken. Arrange about 3 more of the noodles over the chicken and layer with ¼ of the sauce mixture, spinach, and the remaining 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Arrange about 3 more noodles over the cheese and spread with remaining sauce evenly over the noodles. Sprinkle with parsley and additional ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.